Chalkboard Reveal

Friday, June 10, 2016

 Y'all!  I've always wanted a large chalkboard in my house.  The problem was that everywhere I searched, they were way too overpriced.  I decided that this was another project that I could take on myself.  I only needed a few supplies from the local hardware store to tackle this easy project.


SUPPLIES
-Hardboard
-Black Chalkboard Paint
-Paint rollers
-Lumber
-Wood Stain (Dark Walnut)
-Paint brushes
-Cloth for staining
-Chalk
-Cloth for seasoning chalkboard
-1/2" Nails and screws
-Hammer
-Drill or screwdriver
-Hanging wire and hooks

I went to Lowe's and purchased a hardboard wall panel for under $10.  It's the same material that you use for a peg board, just without the peg holes.  It's not too heavy and was perfect for the large chalkboard that I was making.  The best part was that I even had the board cut to my specifications, right there at the store, so I didn't have to worry about any saw dust mess.  My board is 5' x 3.5'. I also had my frame cut at Lowe's.  The four strips of wood for the frame were cut to measure 62" for the top and bottom of the frame and 40" for the two sides.

Step 1
Lay your hardboard out in an area for painting.  I prefer to do this type of work in my garage with the garage door open for nice ventilation.  Open your black chalkboard paint and start painting your hardboard with your paint roller.  You will need to do two to three coats of chalkboard paint for this project waiting two to three hours between each coat.

Step 2
Lay out your lumber that has been cut for your frame.  Brush on the wood stain.  I waited about 20 minutes before I used my cloth to wipe off the stain.  The longer you wait, the darker your stain color will be.   If you do not wipe off the stain, your wood will be very sticky.   Wait for this to dry completely.

Step 3
Once your chalkboard is completely dry, you will need to "season" your chalkboard.  Take your chalk and lay it down flat rather than holding it at the end.  Cover your entire board with chalk by gently rubbing the chalk horizontally and vertically.  It's going to be messy...and dusty!  Now, with a dry clean cloth remove all the chalk from the board.  Do NOT get the cloth wet or you will have to start the process all over again.

Step 4
Now it's time to frame your chalkboard.  Lay the board chalkboard side down and get your stained lumber out.  You will take the lumber and line it  up underneath the chalkboard.  Once you have the frame in position, you will take your nails and hammer the hardboard to your frame.  Be sure not to use nails that are too long, otherwise that nail will show through the front of your frame.  I think I purchased 1/2" nails for this.  Then in the corners, screw in the frame for extra strength.

Step 5
Finally add your hooks and hanging wire and find the spot you want to hang up your finished chalkboard!

I love mine and know you will love yours too!  Stay tuned for the rest of my dining room reveal!  I can't wait to show you all of the work we have put into it!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs
Back to Top